Wednesday, May 12, 2010

PT008 - Bass Kittens - Dude, Where's My Sequencer?

After Carl's last record came and went we went into lockdown mode for a bit of a rethink. Actually, that makes it sound all cool but really we just sort of gave up with a disgusted shrug.

However, you can't keep musicians from trying to flog their wares in front of the whole world, so the label was reborn as a digital-only affair, in keeping with the style of the time.

(The whole notion of Ableton DJs buying vinyl just to convert it to mp3s gives me the heebie-jeebies. Both formats have horrible compromises. Why not just get the mp3 (or even better, flac or wav) directly and cut out the middleman? I guarantee you it will sound better.)

To test the waters, I put together this EP which was made up of odds and ends lying around. You've got the Obligatory Angry Electro Number ("Self-Destruct"), the Obligatory Tweaky Acid Track ("Arctic Dak" - an anagram of... wait for it... Acid Track), a synthypoppy number (Love Robot) which someone on a mailing list once called "Kraftwerk with a boner" - I love that!!, and finally Something With A Funky Breakbeat In It Because That's What I Do.

Despite all that, I really like this release.

This also has the distinction of being the first (and so far only) release of mine that was pirated. Go pirates!

iTunes
Amazon

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on being pirated. Means you must be doing something right.

    Who else is stocking this other than iTunes/Amazon?

    I'm not seeing it on Boomkat or Junodownload. iTunes don't sell 320kbps or FLAC and I've no idea what the bitrate on Amazon is.

    I do agree with the Kraftwerk with a boner comment. Sums it up well.

    ReplyDelete